Bicycle Accident Injury Claims Making a claim in Western Australia


Bicycle Accident Injury Claims in Perth and Western Australia

In Western Australia, a motor vehicle accident involving a cyclist who is injured (“personal injury”) can be dealt with by The Insurance Commission of Western Australia (also known as ICWA). Funding for ICWA is provided by the compulsory third party insurance scheme which is known as “CTP” insurance, or “registration”, which each driver on Western Australian roads is required to take out in order to drive legally on our roads.

This is different to ordinary motor vehicle damage insurance, which only covers the cost of damage to vehicles and other property damage. These insurance policies are known as “comprehensive” or “third party” or “third party fire and theft” policies. CTP insurance is designed to cover the driver for any injury they may cause to another road user. It will cover the cost of any treatment the injured person may need and any compensation to which they may be entitled, for example loss of earnings or pain and suffering.


Valuable Experience

With over 25 years experience in road accident personal injuries, we know how to get the best outcome for you. 


No Win, No Fee

We're in the business of helping you. If we are unsuccessful in securing a win for you we will waive our fees.


West Australian

With years of experience working with the Insurance Commission of Western Australia we can efficiently manage your claim.

How to Make an Accident Injury Claim after a Bicycle Accident involving a Vehicle (Steps)

You need to take the following steps to begin a claim:

  • 1 Complete an online crash report as soon as reasonably practicable after the accident. This will create a record of the accident, the circumstances and the parties involved. It will also let ICWA know if you were injured. The form can be completed at:
  • 2 See your GP or other medical specialist to assess your injuries.
  • 3 Contact ICWA to obtain a “Notice of Intention to Claim” form. This notifies ICWA that in addition to being involved in a crash, you also need medical treatment. They will then be able to help you get the medical advice and support that you need, including paying for treatment (often physiotherapy or more specialised treatment depending on the nature and severity of your injuries).
  • 4 Ensure that you keep receipts for any injury-related expenses. These may be consultation fees with your GP or specialist, treatment and prescription expenses. You may also be able to claim for any loss of earnings you have suffered as a direct result of the accident, providing you have a suitable medical certificate to cover any period of absence and proof of your earnings.

How Can We Help With Your Claim?

We take the stress, confusion and worry out of your motor vehicle accident injury claim. Understanding the challenges and stress of a motor vehicle accident injury means we know how to make life easier for you.

With the right answers and support we'll help you get life back to normal sooner rather than later.

Play Video

West Australian Motor Vehicle / Bicycle Accident Injury Claim Assessment Process

Once they receive notice of a claim, ICWA will assess who was at fault and, if they accept the claim, will review the medical evidence and recommendations. The factors that may influence their decision include:

  • Whether you were wearing a helmet
  • Whether anyone was under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • What the witnesses say
  • What the medical specialists say about your injuries
  • What supporting evidence you have regarding any loss of earning

ICWA will issue a claim reference number and once they have accepted the claim, they will monitor your progress, mainly through medical reports. In addition to reviewing medical reports from your own doctors and specialists, they will often send you to see one of their own specialists to obtain a second opinion.

Once you have recovered, or your condition has stabilised, your claim can be assessed. Your lawyer will review all the evidence and will put forward a submission to ICWA regarding the amount they think you should receive. The claim will then proceed by way of negotiation with ICWA. Most claims are agreed in this way. If agreement cannot be reached, it may be necessary to issue court proceedings.

Information Required to Lodge a Motor Vehicle / Bicycle Accident Injury Claim in Perth and Western Australia

The most important thing is to obtain as much information at the scene as possible. If the motorist has stopped, you should obtain their name, address, contact number, licence details and registration number.

It would also help to take photos of the scene of the accident showing both vehicles in situ and the damage to them. You should also take photos of the road layout and obtain the contact details of any witnesses. You should also complete an online crash report as soon as reasonably practicable (

If you are too injured to do this, or the driver has driven off, you should report the accident to the police and also complete an online crash report. This lets the Insurance Commission of Western Australia (ICWA) know not only that an accident has occurred but also that you are injured.

What will impact the compensation amount in a Motor Vehicle Personal Accident Injury Claim?


The amount of compensation you may be entitled to will depend upon:

  • whether you were at fault to any extent
  • the nature, severity and duration of your injuries
  • the impact the injuries have on your life and lifestyle
  • their effect on your earning capacity
  • the type and amount of treatment you need
  • whether you now need help to do the things that you otherwise could do for yourself (e.g. showering, dressing, shopping, cleaning, cooking, lifting, carrying, driving, gardening etc)
  • the impact on your recreational and social activities

Because there are many different aspects to a personal injury claim, it is a good idea to seek professional advice and guidance on what you should be including in your claim.

How can Motor Legal help your Motor Vehicle Accident Injury Claim?

We have been dealing with motor vehicle accident, injury, and insurance claims for over 30 years and we do not deal with any other type of law.

It means that when you deal with us, you know that this is the area in which we operate, providing an end-to-end service on any motoring matter.

We provide you with free initial advice to help you work out whether you have a claim and can explain your rights so that you can make an informed decision about how to proceed.

The Secret of Getting Ahead, is Getting Started

However you get from A to B, if you’ve had a car accident and sustained a personal injury, Motorlegal will help you sort out your injury claim. Whether a personal injury from a car accident, a motorbike accident, accident on a bus, bicycle accident, or an accident as a pedestrian you will have the assurance of professional legal support and guidance.

We'll Drive the Claim for You

As your injury claim moves forward, your Motorlegal lawyer will keep you in the loop and makes sure you’re treated fairly from start to finish. With Motorlegal, you’ll always be dealing directly with a dedicated road accident lawyer.

Experience the Difference

When we’re satisfied that you have received a fair settlement offer, we will ensure that you will receive your injury compensation promptly to allow you to move on. And if you or your family and friends need us again, we’re here to help. This is what we do.

Resources & Guides

Bus Accident with Personal Injury

Understanding Your Rights: A Guide to Passenger Personal Injury Claims


Vehicle Damage Claims: A User’s Guide


Navigating Injury Compensation Offers from ICWA

Motor Legal - Bicycle Cyclist Accident Injury

A Guide to Bicycle Accidents and Injury Claims in Western Australia

Motor Legal - Physio Whiplash Injury

The Role of Physiotherapy in the Treatment of Whiplash Injuries


What Types of Treatment Work for Whiplash Injuries?


What Exactly is a Whiplash Injury?


What Costs And Expenses Can I Recover After An Accident?


We are a firm of motor vehicle accident lawyers specialising in motor vehicle accident and insurance claims. We concentrate on what we are good at. We provide a one stop service for our clients on any motoring matter following an accident meaning we take care of everything. We have worked for both claimants and insurers and know exactly what you are entitled to claim. We know the process and we know the system. We provide free advice up front so you can determine what your rights and options are without worrying about cost.